Thursday, July 15, 2010

Testimonial from Amy Luxner

Ozgur,

How are you?! Just a quick note to send you a few pics and let you know that I had an unforgettable experience during my trip to Turkey and Egypt over the past couple of weeks! I think I mentioned to you that Istanbul is now my favorite city in the world!

All of the guides were knowledgeable and helpful, especially since I was traveling by myself. Most notable:

1) The adorable driver (I'm embarrassed because I don't remember his name, but he was a retired teacher) who took me to a Billetix outlet in the suburbs to pick up my Sonisphere/Metallica ticket, and the guide Tamer, who helped me get it. They were wonderful!! I am probably a little bit more adventurous than your average tourist, and neither one thought I was weird when I asked to be dropped off at the nearest tram/metro stop, to find my way back to Sultanahment on my own.

2) Eron, who is basically Mr. Popularity in Istanbul, knew everyone, and his passion for his job was obvious. He was helpful to me when I bought a couple of carpets. (Pics attached! They are cute! I would appreciate it if you could pass along to him!)

3) The guide in Ephesus, Yellis, was such a sweetheart, her English was great, and her knowledge of the area was wonderful.

4) The guide in Kapydokya, Omur, was very friendly and his command of the English language was OUTSTANDING. Please pass along my thanks to him!

5) Thank you for changing my hotel to Taksim area for the Sonisphere concert. It was a great location, and although I really liked the Mina Hotel and walked over to Galata Tower from there on a couple of occasions, I liked being close to all of the "action" of Taksim.

6) Things also went smoothly in Egypt, although I was disappointed that my hotel, although very nice, was located in Hieropolis, 45 minutes (in no traffic!) from the city center in Cairo. As I mentioned before, I am a little bit more adventurous that your average tourist, and I wasn't able to walk to any sites or even take the metro to any place on my own, which I often prefer to do. (I would rather walk or take public transport vs. taking a cab.) HOWEVER, I stayed at that hotel for only one night and then they changed me to a hotel in the center of Cario, which was perfect, if not a little TOO fancy-schmancy for my simple tastes!

7) My guide in Luxor, Adel, was an ENCYCLOPEDIA, or let's say a WIKIPEDIA, of knowledge about all things Egypt! I was shocked that after Arabic, the language he spoke best was Italian, not English, because his fluency was remarkable.

Thanks again, Ozgur, to you and your team for organizing a wonderful trip for me!! I wish I would have had the pleasure to meet you in person! Come to visit when you are in the US! I live in Washington, DC, literally 8 blocks from all of the museums and monuments at the Smithsonian Institution! I can be YOUR guide!

All best,

Amy Luxner

amylux[@-sign]gmail.com
(June 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment